At one point, I was reasonably convinced that the Spring Creators Update aka Windows 10 Version 1803 might even go public before the end of March. Over the last couple of weeks, it’s become apparent that not only was that presumption incorrect, we still don’t know for sure when 1803 will hit the streets. Lots of people, including even our very own Kari Finn (my partner and co-conspirator for this website), were inclined to believe that 1803 would go out the door on Patch Tuesday this month. But alas, because that was Tuesday this week (April 10) and we got Cumulative update 17133.73 instead, it’s pretty clear that 1803 is in the offing but not yet out the door. What gives?
Enter the “Blocking Bug”
Over at Windows Central, writer Zac Bowden reports that “Microsoft … found a blocking bug over the weekend that was bad enough to hold the release.”
Got some more info on this: Microsoft was going to rollout on April 10, but found a blocking bug over the weekend that was bad enough to hold the release. Not sure if bug was fixed in 17133.73 or if it'll come in another patch. RS4 will likely begin rollout in a couple weeks now. https://t.co/qxcbHCdPUo
— Zac Bowden (@zacbowden) April 10, 2018
Seems like once again, something came up just prior to release that caused MS to throw on the brakes, and exterminate some bugs, before pushing the latest feature upgrade out the door. As frustrating as this may be to those waiting for the new release, I have to applaud this caution and restraint. Frankly, I’d much rather wait for a release with a smaller number of known gotchas inside, than take the release sooner knowing that the odds of being bitten by a gotcha were higher rather than lower. I wish there were more information on exactly what this bug is available, but that’s the way it goes when MS is trying to ready an OS for public roll-out.
As tradeoffs go, though, waiting longer for more stable, reliable code doesn’t seem like a big sacrifice to me. But for those people who are hoping that a clean install of 1803 will bail them out of some kind of jam they’re currently in — the forum posts on TenForums.com include a dozen or more such cases right now, at a minimum — this is probably quite difficult. Hopefully, we won’t have to wait too long for 1803 to emerge, and thus those antsy folks may soon discover if the new version brings any relief for their particular woes.
When Will 1803 Emerge?
Opinions vary on this subject. In the afore-cited story, Bowden includes a tweet that includes this guess “RS4 will likely begin rollout in a couple weeks now.” It’s dated 4/10/18 so that would mean sometime around 4/24. Others think it could be sooner. Kari’s convinced that when the Redstone 4 Current Canary release, 17134.1 aka rs4_release, drops, the public release will occur within a day or two thereafter. Still others put the go-public date somwhere inbetween. All I can say is, stay tuned! We’ll all be finding out fairly soon, I’m certain. Sometime this month for sure, right?
[Note Added 4/20: Another Blocking Bug?]
On April 18, word emerged of another documented bug found in the two most recent Redstone 4 Builds — namely, 17133 and 17134. It’s described in an an MSPoweruser story entitled “Microsoft’s latest Windows 10 Spring Creators Update RTM candidate may have its own serious bug.” Brandon LeBlanc responded to this story in a Tweet that reads “An investigation of this issue has determined that this is not in fact ‘wide spread’ based on the data we have.” I currently have 3 PCs running 17134 in my possession, and one of them manifests the bug exactly as described in the afore-linked study. MS isn’t being terribly specific about the percentage of affected PCs vis-a-vis the total Insider community. But 1 out of 3 (my small local sample) is not exactly “non-existent” or “scarce,” either, Mr. LeBlanc’s protestations to the contrary notwithstanding. Could this be another blocking bug? The implication from LeBlanc’s statement is “probably not.” But we’ve yet to see an RTM release be made official at this point, so it’s still to early to tell. The longer MS waits to declare an RTM release, however, the more likely it is that “another blocking bug” is indeed under repair. Only time will tell!
Author: Ed Tittel
Ed Tittel is a 30-plus-year computer industry veteran. He’s a Princeton and multiple University of Texas graduate who’s worked in IT since 1981 when he started his first programming job. Over the past three decades he’s also worked as a manager, technical evangelist, consultant, trainer, and an expert witness. See his professional bio for all the details.