New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Ring Build 18965 (August 21)
The most notable new feature in Build 18965 is the ability to control restarting apps at sign-in. From release notes:
Windows now puts you in control with a new app restart setting. When turned on, Windows automatically saves your restartable apps when signing out, restarting, or shutting down Windows, and restarts them next time you sign in. This setting is off by default and you can change it any time in Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options, and can find it by searching for “restart apps” in Start or the search box.
Build 18965 was again updated on the following day, August 22:
– Cumulative Update KB4517787 build 18965.1005
– KB4517789 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring
Windows 10 Insider Preview Slow Builds 18362.10014 and 18362.10015 (August 19)
From the release notes:
– We have enabled Windows Defender Credential Guard for ARM64 devices for additional protection against credential theft for enterprises deploying ARM64 devices in their organizations.
– We have enabled the ability for enterprises to supplement the Windows 10 in S Mode policy to allow traditional Win32 (desktop) apps from Microsoft Intune.
– We have updated search in File Explorer to show web-powered suggestions in addition to files locally indexed on the PC.
– We have added the ability for Narrator and other assistive technologies to read and learn where the FN key is located on keyboards and what state it is in (locked versus unlocked).
Cumulative Update KB4512941 Windows 10 version 1903 build 18362.325 (August 21)
Read more on Ten Forums
Introducing Microsoft Edge Beta (August 20)
From release notes:
Today I’m thrilled to announce that a Beta release for the next version of Microsoft Edge is now available for all supported versions of Windows and macOS. Our goal with Microsoft Edge is to create better web compatibility with better performance for our customers while ensuring less fragmentation of the web for all web developers. Our community has been with us on this journey from the beginning and your feedback is making it possible to rapidly improve. To date, there have been more than one million downloads of our preview builds, across all supported versions of Windows and Mac, from which we have received more than 140,000 individual pieces of feedback. Thank you!
MS Posts Support Note About Defender SFC /Scannow Errors
System File Checker has caused Defender related errors for users. Ed Tittel provides more information in his post on this topic.
Author: Kari Finn
A former Windows Insider MVP, Kari started in computing in the mid 80’s writing code for VAX / VMS systems. Since then, he’s worked in a variety of IT positions. He specializes in Windows image capture, customization, repair and deployment as well as Hyper-V virtualization. Kari is a proud Team Member at number #1 Windows site TenForums.com.