Same problem, different day — and a different error code this time, too. It’s shown in the lead-in graphic for this story, and it comes from my Lenovo X380 Yoga Thinkpad. As I reported here back on May 1 in a War Story piece entitled Reluctant 19619 Fast Ring Upgrade, this particular laptop has taken to hanging at 62% complete during the GUI install phase of the upgrade. This time, I got to see and learn about a new error code when I checked Reliability Monitor after the upgrade was done. As before, I turned to UUPdump.ml to download an ISO-building script, then mounted the resulting ISO to use setup.exe in its root directory to get the job done. But when I visited RelMon after the fact I saw something new in the follow-up detail. Here’s what the Error Code Lookup tool has to say about this one:
This error message indicates a new download is required, and raises a philosophical question.
[Click image for full-sized view.]
Question: Why Bother with a WU Repeat, When UUPdump.ml Does More?
Given that the error code says something went wrong with the download, I’m a little relieved that my rollback to the OEM driver for the Intel GPU may be working properly. That said, as I argued in Wednesday’s post here UUPDump Outdoes Windows Update, why bother with another WU download when UUPdump.ml is a little bit faster (for me, at least) AND I wind up with a re-usable ISO (worth having, all by itself) as a result of taking that upgrade route instead. This only confirms my belief that UUPdump may be preferable (on that laptop, at least) to WU for future upgrades, too.
Readers are, of course, entitled to believe (and do) what makes sense to them. But if I needed further confirmation that UUPdump is a better way to handle feature upgrades, I just got it. Now, all I need to do is remember to take that route BEFORE Windows Update falls over on me again. Sigh.
Note Added May 17
Of course, as a Windows Insider I can’t really skip WU and go straight to UUPdump. And thus it was that on May 13 I tweeted that Build 19628 did install successfully via WU. I believe the “failed to update” fix that appears in conjunction with Error Code 0XC0000409 probably addressed my issue, which caused the post-GUI OS install to hang at 92% complete. It sat there quite a while at 92% this time around too, but eventually completed. Glad to have this one behind me now!
Author: Ed Tittel
Ed Tittel is a 30-plus-year computer industry veteran. He’s a Princeton and multiple University of Texas graduate who’s worked in IT since 1981 when he started his first programming job. Over the past three decades he’s also worked as a manager, technical evangelist, consultant, trainer, and an expert witness. See his professional bio for all the details.